Clevedon Marine Lake has long had a trusting community where swimmers think nothing of leaving their bags on the side while they go for a swim. However, just recently there have been reports of thefts, which are making lake users think twice about where they leave their valuables.
Of course, in an ideal world, nobody would feel the need to steal. But by not leaving valuables where they can be taken, we can help reduce the temptation.
- leaving your valuables at home or in the car
- using a dry bag like these to keep your valuables with you while you’re in the water
- bringing a buddy to look after your things
- swimming/paddleboarding/canoeing close to the side where you’ve left your stuff
- keeping an eye on other people’s stuff while they’re in the water
It’s worth remembering that swimming alone or long distances in the winter isn’t to be recommended. For information on safe cold water swimming, read this.
These thefts are still rare. But one swimmer was unlucky enough to have all his kit taken, including his dry clothes. So, a group of local swimmers have donated spare towels and clothes which will be kept in the Salthouse so that if anyone else finds themselves in this situation, they will at least have something warm and dry to put on.
If you find some of your stuff has been stolen, please email email@example.com and also report the theft to the police.